Monday, August 16, 2010

Baby Signs

Last night I came home from work to nurse Mishaela. She knew what time it was and started screaming as soon as she saw me. I put my purse down and walked over to the play mat where she was sitting with her dad. "Do you want milk?" I asked her, while signing for 'milk.' She looked at my hand, looked back at my face, and gave a demanding screech. I continued to sign for 'milk' and asked inquisitively, "Milk?" She threw her head back and screeched even louder. "Milk?" I asked, still signing. "You do it. Say 'milk.'" In response, she started screaming like a wild animal, crying, stomping her little feet, and throwing her head back and forth in frustration. So I walked out of the room. A few seconds later when she had stopped crying and resumed playing with her toys, I reappeared. She looked at me, dropped her toys and furiously signed 'milk' with both hands. I swooped her up, lavished her with praise, gave her a kiss, and of course, milk. I was so proud of her. =)

When she had finished nursing I gave her to Marc so he could put her to bed. As he carried her down the hall she began to wail. From the nursury I heard, "Um...I think she wants more milk." Apparently, as soon as he laid her down on the changing table she started signing for milk. So, milk she got. I was wondering if perhaps it was just a ploy to delay bedtime ("Can I have a glass of water?") but no, she was indeed still hungry. After that she went to bed without a problem.

This morning when she woke up I nursed her like usual and when she had finished, I took her to change her diaper. When I laid her down on the changing table she signed for 'more.' "You want more milk?" I asked. She gave me a big smile. I took her off the changing table and she did, indeed, want to nurse again. I'm so impressed!

No comments: