Friday, August 27, 2010

Saturday, August 21, 2010

My contacts arrived and today I went in for my "contact lens fitting." First of all, my eyes are very, very sensitive (you're surprised, right?). It's hard for me even to put eyeliner on. Whenever anything comes toward my eye, safe or not, it goes into spasms (helpful as a natural reflex, not so helpful in the world of contacts. Let's not even talk about how hard it is for the opthamologist to do the glaucoma test that blows that puff of air into your eye). Anyway, my eye sensitivity is compounded by anxiety about how hard lenses cannot be easily moved around your eye. Because they are hard, you risk scratching your cornea if you slide them across your eye. If you've ever had contacts, you know it's not that hard to put them in wrong or rub your eye without thinking, which dislodges the contact and allows it to float up into your brain (ok, that is theoretically impossible but that doesn't make me feel any less nervous about it).


What was I talking about again? I got distracted by the thought of having a collection of contacts in my brain.


Well, after I actually got the contacts in (minus the time when I blinked too soon and the contact when into the abyss of my eye corner and I screamed, "Help! Help!" and the secretary yelled, "Somebody get the doctor!" causing all kinds of mayhem and staring, and by the time the doctor arrived I had wedged it out of my eye and I said, "I'm ok now."), the doctor took a look and said my vision was 20/20 and the contacts were sitting well. I had to admit, I could see!....so long as I only looked downward at the floor...without blinking.

"I can only see straight in front of me--everything to the sides is blurry--is that normal?" I asked.

"Yes." she replied.

Really? Couldn't they come up with something better? Like, isn't peripheral vision important?

"And how long until I get used to them?" I continued, through my red, puffy, traumatized eyes, and mascara running down my face.

"About a week. You're already blinking less than when you first put them in." (And by this I assumed she meant at a rate less than 400 times per minute.)

SO a week here I go....

No comments: