Thursday, August 12, 2010

Drive-Thrus Are Not For Rainy Days

The sky was looking ominous when I dropped Mishaela off at daycare but I had some extra time before work and I really wanted some Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Well, on my way to DD the sky opened up. Like Noah's Arc meets El NiƱo. But when I have my mind set on something, there's no turning back. How bad could it be? I asked myself as I hydroplaned down Rt. 28. I'll just order really quickly....

Well as it turns out, the DD ordering window does not have an overhang. Although even if it did have an overhang, I don't think it would have made a difference because I'm pretty sure it was raining vertically, horizontally, and upside down by then. As the rain was pouring down my windows so much that I couldn't even read the menu, I thought to myself, Am I really going to do this? Yes. I'm already here, just do it. It'll be really fast. So I rolled down my window and opened my mouth to shout out my entire order inonelongsentence and I felt like I was sprayed in the face with a garden hose. SPLAT! SPLOOSH! Seriously, it was like I had just driven my car down Splash Mountain. I think I got about this far, "I'd like a number AHHHHHH!!!" before I rolled up the window.

Oh my gosh. I sat for a moment, stunned. I then opened the window just enough to stretch my lips up to the crack and yelled over the roar of rain, "I'd like a number one decaf AHHHHHH!!!" as I was pelted in the face with more rain than I thought could possibly enter through a window crack. "Hello?" came the warm, dry, and probably very entertained (or annoyed) voice from the intercom. Not ten seconds with an open window and I looked like I had run across the parking lot in the downpour. I was drenched. Well, there's really no point in stopping now. Just finish I told myself. I took a deep breath, rolled down the window and feeling guilty for screaming at him twice, I yelled out the window, "I'M SORRY--IT'S JUST RAINING REALLY HARD!" Genius. Way to waste two more seconds of drench time. Anyway, I finished my order as quickly as possible, being so disoriented by this experience that I asked for 3 Equals in my coffee and although I ordered a number one what I really wanted was a number three with reduced fat cream cheese but somehow it all worked out in the end.

At the service window I intelligently waited with my window up until the guy was ready to take my credit card ("intelligently"? Is there really anything intelligent about this whole scenario? That's my present-moment brain thinking) Then when he was ready we scrunched up our faces and attempted to do the quickest coffee credit card trade in history, through a car window open not more than the height of a Dunkin' Donuts medium coffee. By the second time around when he had to give me back my card and my bagel we were all McGuvyer about it. First we made eye contact, then did a head nod, and simultaneously while he opened his two little windows, I rolled down mine (all the while in my mind yelling go! go! go!) and he shoved a paper bag into my hand as he rapidly yelled, "receiept-and-card-are-in-the-bag-have-a-nice-day!" and he ducked back in like a turtle and shut the little DD window shutters. At this point I was laughing hysterically, mascara melting down my face, wet hair plastered to my head, soaked all down the left side (both me and my car). Um, I think I need to go home and get some dry clothes.

P.S> That picture was taken after the a/c in my car dried things off a bit. Impressive, huh? I was impressed. No more epic rain storm drive-thrus. Put that on the delivery guys :) J/K

2 comments:

Jill said...

my first thought was- u did all that for a decaf coffee?

Jessica said...

Hahaha only because I'm trying to be good and cut the caffeine intake. But who knows if they understood my order. It could have been caffeinated :)