Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why It's So Hard To Eat Healthy

I've resumed blogging everyone! Sound the alarm! Bring out the confetti and sparklers! I'm sure you are all SO excited to once again be able to peek inside the carnival funhouse that is my mind.

On my Facebook status this morning I posted, "Why is it so hard to eat healthy". (Probably the adverb should be healthily but once again thanks to modern technology and being out of school for four years, my grammar just goes further down the toilet. And I'm sure that sentence I just wrote is missing all sorts of commas. But I digress. I quite purposefully did not end that statement with punctuation because I don't really need answer. I know why it's so difficult to eat health(il)y. In fact there are about a hundred reasons (excuses really) as to why it's so hard for me to eat healthily. And this morning I found reason 101. Please view Exhibit A, featured above.

What are they? you might ask. Well they're pancakes--duh! Whole wheat blueberry pancakes! Made from the worst recipe ever! I take that back---THE worst "pancake" recipe ever is the Amaranth Pancakes of the Candida Diet. Yes, let's take those creepy small corns that you find in salads that I never know the name to, grind them up, add a little sea salt and kelp powder, and fry them in a pan. Sounds delicious, no? Gag. But I digress. Again. Welcome to my mind folks!

Here is the link to the recipe, so that you will all know how not to make "healthy" pancakes: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/whole-wheat-blueberry-pancakes/Detail.aspx I think the main problem was using only whole wheat flour. I might try this recipe again with half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour (but likely I will just try another recipe). Using only whole wheat flour might be fine for muffins but it made these pancakes very heavy. They also barely rose. And I forgot to spray the pan with oil. This was my thought process while making pancakes this morning while listening to Mishaela protest from her highchair about how little pieces of slimey banana are impossible to pick up with little fingers. Note: I brilliantly turned on the gas stove to High so the pan could warm up while I was mixing the batter. As I stood with a measuring cupfull of batter poised over the pan, this is what went through my mind:

Let me check the recipe again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything....oh it says to spray the pan with oil....I don't normally spray the pan with oil....but the recipes usually have oil in them....this recipe doesn't call for oil...I should probably put oil in the pan....but it's a nonstick pan, doesn't that mean it doesn't need oil?....I should probably just spray oil....but the pan is already hot...it could cause an explosion...and what kind of oil? We have olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil....

Meanwhile, smoke is coming off of the hot oil-less pan. So I turned the heat down to Med., turned on the vent (what is that thing called anyway, an exhaust vent?), sprayed some oil in the pan and quickly dropped in three scoopfuls of batter. Well, before I even had the batter in the pan, the oil had burned onto the pan and the pancake batter immediately started to burn. So what did I do? I flipped them over. They're just cooking faster because of the high heat, right? And if I squish them so all the runny insides come out they'll cook fast to, right? And if they're not cooked through by the time the second side is cooked I should flip them over again and cook the first side some more, right? Right. And that's exactly what I did.

Oh wait. Maybe the problem was actually the cook.

3 comments:

MommieVentures said...

Hahahahaahaha! This sounds so much like me!!!!

Can't wait to read more!

Drew said...

pancake looks YUMMY!

Jill said...

Half the time I cook, I make the smoke detector go off, so you win. PS. digress is a smart enough word to compensate for you're grammar mistakes.